PRESENTATION / POSTER
EXPERIENCES / CONCRETE EXPERIENCES
Presentation criteria for papers for the colloquium
- The VII Colloquium, “aims to give continuity to the debate from the multiplicity of men and masculinities, with the contributions of decolonial approaches and intersectionality”, giving a special place to the voices, realities and experiences of adolescent and young men . The approach of intersectionality implies understanding the ways in which identities, subjectivities and practices are expressed in the everyday life of specific and diverse women and men, in which categories, such as gender, class, intervene in a crisscrossed and simultaneous manner. , ethnicity, race, age and sexuality in contexts that articulate different forms of oppression, domination and discrimination, but also of subversion and resistance.
- Echoing decolonial feminisms of color, this way of understanding the construction of the identities of men and women, tries to problematize the analytical compartmentalisations with which masculinities and femininities are usually analyzed, as if they were isolated phenomena of other dynamics social; or, to put it another way, as if the particular subjects did not carry in their practices and conceptions this series of dynamics, as a whole that structures and directs their daily life. Thinking in an intersectional manner should not only be an individual analytical effort, but should be a collective practice, if we seek to understand the complexity of relationships that condition concrete men. For this reason, the organization of the VII Colloquium has proposed to rethink the way in which the dialogue is generated in order to promote an approach to such type of approach.
- This Colloquium tries to include different forms of knowledge and approximation to work experiences with men and masculinities. In this way, all the works are people who want to participate will be organized into thematic tables so that they can converge, in one place, presentations, systematization of experiences and even artistic works. People who wish to participate can do so around one of the three modalities mentioned in the following sections.
Modality of academic works
The academic works are the product of the reflection of universities, institutes or research centers. They are considered formal works that include a scientific approach to the phenomenon studied. Consequently, they are works that address masculinity and men in relation to issues such as violence, fatherhood, male health, homophobia, family and others.
- It consists of an oral presentation of approximately 20 minutes of approximate duration. To be able to participate the person must send a summary of 200 words in Spanish or Portuguese language that contains any of the following formats:
- Theoretical reflection: It consists of three parts, an introduction on the subject that expresses the different central theses of the discussion or reflection; a development that provides arguments, examples and evidence that supports the central theses; and a section of conclusions that restates the lessons learned, needs and limitations found.
- Investigation report: It is recommended to follow a standard format that contains an introduction, approach to the research problem (pertinence and small theoretical debate), objectives, method, results and conclusions.
- If accepted, the person can bring the presentation of the paper (PowerPoint) on a USB device on the day of the event.
- It consists of the creation of a poster that communicates information related to research work, theoretical revision or professional practice. The formal design and illustration is at the discretion of each person; however, a layout is suggested that allows poster messages to be clear to the public. It must clearly indicate the following components:
- Title of work, Authorship (emails, academic degrees and institutional membership). Introduction, objectives, methods, results and conclusions. Bibliographic references.
- It is recommended to use graphics, tables, drawings and photographs as visual reinforcement to facilitate the content of the work. To accept the proposal, a summary must be sent, in Spanish or in Portuguese, of the previous sections in a maximum space of 200 words. APA style citation is recommended. If the proposal was accepted, the size of the poster should be 120 cm high and 90 cm wide. It must be presented in vertical format and the content must be legible at a distance of 2 meters in length.
- Both for the mode of presentations or poster people must be written in the congress to participate and present the day of the event.
- Experiential / Experiential Modality
- This type of work is narrative related to a concrete experience, methodology, experience or testimony, in topics of work with men and masculinities, which should be exposed in a space of no more than 20 minutes. It can come from different sectors of activism, community, governmental, social, political spaces, human rights defenders, etc.
- People who want to present in this modality should send a summary, in Spanish or Portuguese, of around 200 words.
- Artistic modality
It consists of the presentation of works of plastic or scenic art in a space of 20 minutes for each person. The plastic work can be a drawing, painting, sculpture, photography or similar. Because it can be difficult to transport any of these works of art, participants can choose to take photos of the work and make a presentation (PowerPoint) of it or bring it into physical element day. When the work is presented, the participants will have 20 minutes to comment on the creation process and its relationship with the topics and axes of the colloquium (see previous sections).
To be approved the proposal must send the following:
A brief description of the qualities of the work (construction materials, techniques and others) and a brief explanation of how it relates to the subject of masculinity and men.
In the case of the stage work, you can present small plays, reading poetry or another type of performance that lasts between one minute and 20 minutes of presentation. There can be several people who participate in this modality and a small space can be dedicated at the end (10 minutes) to expose the subject treated to make a brief comment from the people who participated in the scene.
As in the plastic works, a brief summary should be presented about the qualities of the work, in the form of a synopsis, and a brief explanation of how the staging is related to the theme of masculinities, men and some of the axes of the colloquium.
This modality is exposed on Thursday August 8, post / colloquium. They consist of a space of 2 to 4 hours, in which practical elements, methodologies, techniques, skills, etc. are provided. Which can be useful in working with men and masculinities.
When all the proposals and modalities have been sent, the Scientific Committee will read the summaries and accept the papers, posters, works of art and systematization of experiences that are adapted to the requirements of the colloquium. Accepted people will be informed by email and will be informed of the table, day and time they will present their work.